LEARN SOME STRATEGY! Why would you sit down and play a game for REAL MONEY when you haven’t got a clue how to play? It blows my mind. Watch, learn, try to pick it up, read a book, ask someone…but some people are too stupid to do any of these and are completely lost at a Blackjack table.
Once I was playing and this young guy sat down and you could see immediately he didn’t have a Scooby. He looked absolutely terrified. He looked too scared to do anything – put his money down, ask for a card, pick up his winnings…anything, and I could see that he was whispering to the guy playing next to him (who was no expert himself) about what he should be doing in certain situations. He was getting some great cards although he was never aware of this, (he didn’t even know that a picture and an ace was Blackjack for Christ’s sake) and winning money, although not as much as he should have been. After watching him get one too many nice doubles that he didn’t even know about, I lent over between hands.
‘Excuse me mate,’ he looked at me, the same blank, scared look on his face that he had worn since he had sat down.
‘You know that you are allowed to double on your first two cards?’ Again he just stared.
‘If you get, say nine, ten or eleven on your first two cards,’ I continued, ‘and the dealer has a bad card like a five or six, you can double your bet.’
‘I can…double?’ he looked to the other guy then back to me, picking some of his chips up and tentatively moving them towards the box, misunderstanding and NOT LISTENING to what I was saying.
‘No…I mean, when the cards are out, you can…’
‘Yea…what he’s saying is that on that last ‘and you would’ve got paid twice if you’d doubled.’ Interjected the other guy, ‘It would’ve been a good bet; still, too late now.’
The new guy looked to the dealer and then back to his box, playing with his money nervously.
‘I just play my own game,’ he said to me.
PLAY YOUR OWN GAME? And what IS ‘your own game’ mate, exactly? Sitting there scared shitless and not even knowing what a Blackjack is if it leapt up and bit you?
‘I’m just trying to help mate, you have had some great double chances,’ I said.
Nothing.
Then that very next hand. Eleven against a five, one of the best doubles you can get.
‘Double or card,’ asked the dealer, and the kid was signalling again, his same stupid signal, twisting his hand vaguely in the air, a shy version of the queen’s wave.
‘You can double that…that’s a great bet.’
‘It is,’ agreed the other guy.
He continued to do his signal and it was obvious that he didn’t know a thing about what we’d just said. NONE OF IT.
He got a ten, twenty-one.
He won of course.
After he had stayed on a fourteen against an ace and then pulled on a soft nineteen against a six (and won both) I got up and left to find another table.
No comments:
Post a Comment