Monday, 22 November 2010

Blackjack Philosophy 2 - Don't Push it too far!

As soon as you push it…as soon as you GO for it, that’s when it all goes wrong.  It always happens…when the GREED gets in you…when you think: “well this is working with $200 so why should it not work with $500?”  No.  As soon as you get that little bit more greedy than usual, that’s when it all goes Pete Tong.
    And you could say: ‘well, if you really believe you can win, then why not play on higher-stakes tables and increase your bets on a similar scale (instead of $10-$300, why not $100-$3000)?  You would certainly win more.’  Well, it’s the mind-set.  I’m not ready for that.  I have never been loaded, never been that…FLIPPANT about money to be able to get my head round losing over $100 every few seconds – on a bad run of cards it can really be that quick – and then have the ability to still remain calm and in an unaltered, concentrated state on the table.  For me, sticking $300 or $400 down once in a while is adrenalin enough and I can just about get my head around that at the moment. 
    Stopping at the right time is still the key though, I mean – take that incident at the Luxor for instance: as soon as I lost full control of myself – let other emotions become involved – that’s when it all went down the pan.
    I was still sick about it days after, and I remember that at the time I was suicidal.  To get involved like that…it went against everything I had tried to steel myself against.  But then a part of me thinks: “well maybe that will end up being a good lesson, you know?”  Maybe…and the fact that I was so fucked off is a GOOD sign, otherwise it would show that I didn’t care too much, or was becoming too flippant about money.

No comments:

Post a Comment